2016 Tasmanian Yachting Awards
by Richard McMinn
Nominations for the 2016 Tasmanian Yachting Awards and Hall of Fame are now closed.
Sailing has been an integral part of Tasmania’s history. In the late 19th century sailing progressed from just an economic necessity to a recreational past time. Since then Tasmanians have excelled in their sailing pursuits both on and off the water. The Tasmanian Yachting Awards and Hall of Fame recognize the special contributions Tasmanians have made to the sport. Yachting Tasmania has an appointed panel that considers award and the Hall of Fame nominations. The panel is made up of the Gilbert Leitch (Chair), Richard Fisher, Paul Burnell, Steve Walker, Greg Rowlings, Colleen Darcy and Donelda Niles and is supported by the Yachting Tasmania President and the Yachting Australia Tasmanian Regional Manager.
Tasmanian individuals, teams and organizations have been nominated for the Hall of Fame on the basis of their:
- 1. Outstanding achievements in yacht racing or cruising over a reasonable period of time since the inception of recreational yachting in Tasmania; and/or an
- 2. Outstanding contribution to the organisation and administration, again over a reasonable period of time since the inception of recreational yachting in Tasmania.
A number of nominations were also received for our annual awards in a number of categories.
- Male Sailor of the Year
- Female Sailor of the Year
- Outstanding Youth Achievement
- Disabled Sailor of the Year
- Bennetto Medal for Offshore Sailing
- Volunteer Award
- Yachting Personality of the Year
- Club of the Year
- Adminstrator/Sports Professional of the Year
- Instructor/Coach of the Year (new award in 2016)
Nominations have now closed and the Nominations Committee will be reviewing all nominations received to determine award winners in early June. The awards ceremony will be held at Bellerive Yacht Club on the afternoon of Sunday June 26.